Shoplifting is a crime that often goes unnoticed. It’s not as serious or penalized, but the state of Minnesota still takes it seriously enough to apply harsh penalties for those convicted – even if they didn’t intend on stealing anything!
Penalties For Shoplifting in Minnesota
The penalty for shoplifting in Minnesota depends on the amount of stolen merchandise.
- If you are caught shoplifting with less than $500 worth of merchandise, this would be identified as a misdemeanor, which would be punishable by a fine of up to $1,000 and up to 90 days in jail.
- If you are caught shoplifting with less than $1,000 worth of merchandise, this is identified as a gross misdemeanor, which would be punishable by a fine of up to $3,000 and up to 1 year in jail.
- Suppose you are caught shoplifting with more than $500 but less than $1,000 worth of merchandise. In that case, a previous shoplifting conviction within the last five years is identified as a felony, and it is punished with fines up to $10,000 and the potential for up to five years in prison.
- If you are caught shoplifting with between $1,000 and $5,000 worth of merchandise, this will identify as a felony, and it is punished by fines of up to $10,000 and the potential for up to five years in prison.
- If you are caught shoplifting with between $5,000 and $35,000 worth of merchandise, or if the merchandise is an explosive or a controlled substance (except marijuana), this is identified as a felony, and it is punished with fines up to $20,000 and up to 10 years in prison.
- If you are caught shoplifting with more than $35,000 worth of merchandise, or if the item is a firearm, this is identified as a Felony and is punishable with fines up to $100,000 and up to 20 years in prison.
Talon Premier Security Services For Minnesota Businesses
At Talon Premier Security, we understand how important it is to protect your business from shoplifters. We are a private security contractor located in the greater Twin Cities metro area with a diverse background of experience and training.
We offer contracted physical security, counter-surveillance, and more to help you deter and catch Minnesota shoplifters in the act. Here is a list of services Talon Premier Security has to offer to help prevent shoplifting at your business:
- Physical Security: We are a premier provider of physical site protection services to meet your specific needs. We offer contracted physical security to deter the thief of merchandise from occurring.
- Counter Surveillance & Electronic Countermeasures: Our counter-surveillance staff is made up of highly trained professionals with more than 20 years of experience in special operations and intelligence collecting. We utilize that specialized knowledge to provide our clients peace of mind.
- Investigative Services: Many Minnesota businesses today have a variety of growing concerns, including employee integrity, a safe environment, or theft of merchandise. We can help build a robust security team to help!
- Legal Process Services: We pride ourselves on our ability to provide quality process service for law firms, corporations, and individuals. We do what it takes to effectuate service. Regardless of the challenges presented, our servers ensure that service is made according to your instructions and the Rules of Civil Procedures.
- Event Security: We provide security and consulting management services to any event you may have. Our trained security personnel will ensure that you and your guests are safe.
- Emergency Response Teams: Our trained officers have been thoroughly educated in de-escalation, crowd control, perimeter assessment and establishment, and conflict resolution. They respond with precision, proper risk assessment, and timeliness and come prepared to handle a multitude of emergency situations.